Divorce doesn’t affect kids AS MUCH if they are not placed in the middle of warring parents.
What does your child know at this point?
- Discuss with your spouse how you will let the kids know about the divorce
- Talk to your child together — let them know you are still their mom and dad
- Remember to be consistent in what you tell your child
- Make sure to ask if they have questions
Determine at this point:
- Does your child need counseling?
- Do you notice changes in behavior, agitation, loss of sleep?
- Is your child withdrawing from peers?
- Have they asked to see a counselor?
Not every child will benefit from counseling.
- Everyone has their own way of working through their problems
- Best to let them know counseling is an option and resource that can be used
- Counseling should be sought out when requested
- Counseling should be sought out when you notice the child is not able to handle the situation
At Law Office of Matt Sossi, we help our clients find practical co-parenting solutions. To learn more, please contact us today.